Wednesday

A Tradition Begins - - MudPies & PixieDust Photography

In case you missed the memo, Thanksgiving and subsequently Black Friday has already come and gone. That my friends means the count-down is on until Christmas!! Long having been my favorite holiday of the year, this year I've decided it's time to add a few more traditions to the mix. Those that know me well know I love to decorate, and am always switching out various pieces of decor as the seasons change. All too often when Christmas rolls around I fall victim to the temptation to deck the tree in whatever the latest trend might be. And then this year it hit me....what fun is that? Years from now when the kids are older and we're all decorating the tree together, I want there to be heard 'Ohhh, remember the year we made this?' or 'I remember when I picked out this one!' The holidays are about creating those lasting memories centered around relationships and things that have personal meaning. So, in addition to some special handmade ornaments we'll be creating for each kiddo (plaster hand prints etc), we've also been having fun with our new visitor.....Henry. Henry is our own little elf straight from the North Pole that will be visiting our house every year during the Christmas season. Each evening Henry reports back to Santa whether or not the kiddos in our house have been 'naughty' or 'nice' that day. Each morning he re-appears from his North Pole flight in a new location around the house. I'll warn you, your kids might start awakening at insanely early hours in the morning just so they can go on the hunt for their merry little elf friend!!

Hope you're taking the time this season to slow down a bit and cherish the simple things and little ones in your life.

jenry1IMG_0514IMG_0460henrycollageuse

9 comments:

  1. Too CUTE Sara! Love that look on B's face! Merry Christmas from the Snelsons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priceless. What a great tradition to start! I'm lovin' Henry already. B's just too cute in these pictures. Whenever we are in the area you will definitely be getting a phone call to snap of few pics of Coleton! :) Merry Christmas my dear. Life is good. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've heard of the elf on the shelf and have never looked into it. maybe it'll be my favorite thing with these crazy kiddos! love how excited B looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen "Elf on a shelf" and LOVE IT! I wondered if Lucy (2years) is old enough to understand??? My bet is right now she'd think of the elf as another one of her babies. Love love love the pictures. Your "art" always brings a smile to my face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great idea. we made a video of santa this year (called something like the portable north pole) in which santa has pictures of him throughout the year and asks him to do something to earn his gift (like stop sucking his thumb) this has by far been the best christmas ever with a three year old!-stephanie classen

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't know what it is this year with the "elf on the shelf" but i've read about it at least once everyday on someone's blog. such a great idea! in fact, i just printed off the 30% of coupon that barnes and noble e-mailed me specifically for "elf on the shelf"! such great pictures as always sara. you will love the new tradition you are starting with your tree ornaments, that is our favorite thing every year...unpacking the Christmas ornaments and recalling the stories behind them. the boys love it so much as do i! here's to new traditions!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I know how much you do love this time of year. I can't listen to that Mariah Carey song without thinking of you. So funny you started this tradition, I saw it when we were out the other day and wanted to do some research before we bought it, sounds like fun, we may have to steal this tradition too! Hope you're enjoying the season.
    H

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have got to be one of the most creative people I know!! I always get excited to see your latest pics posted!!! I hadn't heard of "The Elf.." until a few days ago when a friend of mine posted that she put hers to close to a candle and their daughter yelled during supper "the elf's is smoking"!!! I think they are so cute and I think Griff would love one and hopefully benefit from having one around!! Hope your holidays are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. B is too cute we are still on the hunt for a brown eyed elf of our own!!!! Fingers crossed we will find one but oh boy they are in high demand. We miss you guys it so nice having our short mommy time but when may rolls around a whole mommy weekend!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYY!!! Your house looked gorgeous, Santa will be very proud of your festive decor and will love eating off your new cookie plate!!!!!! Love to all talk to you soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete